Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Updates...

And, somehow it's January 25th... the month is almost over and tomorrow will mark five months for us in Korea.  This is the longest I have ever worked continuously at a full-time job and also the longest I have been away from home.  The latter point is just one of those things where, once you pass a certain point, it all kind of feels the same (ie. 4 months feels the same as 3 months or 5 months).  


photo credit: T.Hemmerick
I enjoy the freedom and flexibility that I have in my future. I also feel lucky to be able to wonder where I will be a year from now.  My mind changes every day as to where I 'want to' or 'should' be when September rolls around... and it usually depends on who I'm with, and what life has thrown at me that day.  Things like running races with our new group of friends, getting up into the mountains, watching mini Koreans learn to speak English and being part of something 'different' make me want to extend our time here. 


Other things, of course, like family and friends at home, sour patch kids, and cheese make me count the days until we arrive at Pearson airport next Fall.  


One day at a time is the only way to do it, I think. 






As for updates on past entries:


1)  Ajumma smackdown '11:
-No further negative encounters with 'garbage ajumma', as we have dubbed her.  We awkwardly passed her on the steps the other day, but did not exchange words. Exactly which words we would/could have exchanged, I'm not sure. 


1 a) Recycling/garbage pick-up.
- one medium sized bag of recycling was deposited at the 'correct spot' and successfully disappeared. One point for us.
- 4 large sized bags of recycling were deposited, disappeared, but not without a male version of the yelling match from a couple of weeks ago. ( Tim was scolded in Korean this morning from an ajashi - older Korean man, supposedly because of the recycling we left outside yesterday).  Negative 3 points for us. 


After some research, all we can find out about garbage/recycling is the following:
-Garbage must be put in special bags which must be purchased at stores for 1-5 dollars. Garbage collection is not a service provided through taxation, so it is paid for by the proceeds from these bags. I agree with this approach because it means you pay more for making more garbage.
-Recycling is supposedly supposed to be put in ' clear' bags, which do not seem to be for sale at any sort of store. Maybe the Koreans know how to make them by hand.


the kids with their snowmen crafts (from CanAaaada)- thanks to big Deb





2.  School/ice rink
-The school was not closed last Wednesday, as hoped.  When I returned, it was as if nothing had happened. The hole that had been dug in front of the school was covered up in a wool blanket (common practice for Korean construction sites) and the bathrooms were up and running once again.  The windows were all still open however, with heaters blasting  to 30 degrees and every teacher wearing their winter coats and scarves all day, for the hallway transitions. 


3.  rrrrrRUNning.
-Still on track for the 10km in Daegu, April 10th. I've been getting a bit distracted by other races that have cropped up, and it will be hard to hold off until April, but I am set on saving it all up for then.  Ironically, racing more usually means running less for me, and I don't like giving up the mileage. I also find my racing suffers if I commit to too many in too short of a time.  It's so hard to say 'no' though, when they really are one of my top 3 things to do in Korea.  I'm pumped for spring when it will be lighter earlier in the day and I don't have to wait for the sun to come up before I can head out the door in the morning.  


I have been following Jack Daniel's training plan from his book ( thanks Ian!) which I am now able to read with my new toy, the KINDLE.  Training is going well so far, and it is really reminding me how much I miss the track and my girls in Ottawa.  


I can feel myself getting onto a running rant, so I will cut myself off here and bid adieu to you, my friends.  


This was a wordy one, I know. Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment