Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm in love I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!

.... and her name is Sajik.
She is 400m long, with an oval shape and likes to be outdoors. 


WARNING: this is a running post. 


Yes, folks, it's time for me to come out of the closet:  I'm tracksexual.


Explanation? Fine. 


I had my first Korean track workout today and it was an amazing experience. 


Tim and I took the subway to "Sajik Stadium" where there is a 400m outdoor track which is open to the public early mornings and evenings.  It was about a 40 minute trip from our place, which is not bad at all for the size of the city.  


It was a rainy, foggy, kind of miserable day and it would have been really easy to give in and just take a nap, but we sucked it up, packed 8 changes of clothes, bought an umbrella, and made the trek to Sajik. 




why.

Though there was nothing spectacular about the workout itself (3x1200m plus 3x1000m), being at a track again brought back a lot of great memories from last year in Ottawa... including sprinting for the bus  - just when you thought you couldn't run another step. 


It was a pretty awesome feeling to be running under the lights, with a little rain and in the company of about 10 ajummas and ajashis.  


It's kind of bittersweet with a mix of guilt and pleasure, every time I find something here that I like because it's familiar.... it kind of feels like cheating, as if I should be only looking for new, foreign things to start to like, instead of trying to recreate things from home that I am already comfortable with.  It's a common feeling I have, this 'culture guilt' - but that's a whole other posting, isn't it? 


Anyways, just had to express my newfound love for a new location that I hope to be spending a lot more time with, real soon. 

no, i'm not a ballerina. no, i'm not trying to flex. it's a heart.









No comments:

Post a Comment