Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The gym.

Bustin' it out to Bieber.
Just need to make note of some experiences at the gym, before they become normal and I forget that they were once very weird to me. 
For anyone who is in/has been to Korea, don't mind my ignorance or interpretations of what I see... I'm sure I am getting 90% of it wrong!


The gym is called " Spazen" and it has 7 floors. When you go in, you must take off your shoes, then lock them in a little locker in the lobby with a key from the front desk.  The fitness centre itself is on floor 7, but there are change rooms, saunas, pools, a napping floor, and a 'food court' on the floors in between. My favorite is the napping floor, where people are just napping on their mats on the floor.  Napping anywhere seems to be the norm in Korea. I also see a few people napping on the stairway landings when I walk up to the 7th floor each morning.  


After arriving on the 7th floor ( I still haven't used the change room yet... but I'll get there) you can put your 'indoor' shoes on.  Most people seem to store their shoes at the gym outside the fitness centre doors in cubbies, but I have just been bringing mine each day with me. 
The fitness centre has about 15 treadmills, free weights (but only up to about 60lbs), stationary bikes, weight machines, a room for classes, and of course a few vibration machines... old school ones with belts. They seem to be a hit with the older crowd at the gym... I think they would make me throw up. 


The view in the fitness centre is amazing. Because it is up on the mountain side, and there are windows on both sides, you can see the city and water down below, and the mountains up above... very nice view. 


The people at the gym are very nice, but I think they may be scared of me.  One older lady gave me the thumbs up today, I think she was telling me I was a fast runner ( or maybe I just chose to interpret that :)). I tried to catch the eyes of some guys, just to make some friends, but no luck.  I guess I am very scary looking. 


After my workout I decided to be brave and venture into the women's changing room ( which I only found by chance, because I saw another lady walk into it - the signs are all in Korean). 
Right inside the change room door is a snack bar that looked to primarily sell hard-boiled eggs.  I am not complaining... it's an excellent healthy, post-workout snack!
That was about as far as I got, but I will see if I can go further, maybe find the pools and or showers tomorrow - our apartment's shower leaves much to be desired, including water pressure.


Anyways, hopefully I will slowly unravel the mysteries of "Spazen" and can soon look back on my own stupidity about the experience :)


BYYyyyeeeeeee!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment