Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Canadian Chuseok.

turkey lurkey. arrived on my desk via air mail, courtesy of the most thoughtful person i know.


I have now missed my first official 'holiday' at home.... not counting Labour Day, of course.
Obviously I have been away for a few Thanksgivings before, so this one should not be a BD (big deal), but there is something different about being in a different country for the holiday.
On one hand, you could easily forget that there even is a holiday, because no one here is talking about turkey..... but on the other hand, facebook has a way of not letting you miss anything that is happening. Anywhere.


My indirect point to this is that I can't help but wonder: if this is Thanksgiving, how is Christmas going to feel? I have never spent a December 24th, 25th or 26th with anyone that is not my family!!


For those of you who I spoke to before even deciding to come to Korea, one of my reasons for NOT coming was because I couldn't fathom missing a Christmas at home.  It made me want to throw up.  Somehow I let go of this and realised that, maybe I needed to grow up ( but I can still sleep with my blankie).


When December rolls around, I have a feeling that we won't have the luxury of being able to ignore the holiday all together.  I have heard that there are many Christmas decorations, and of course, lots of Christmas activities at school.  


This combined with ' Decorating the tree with the fam!' facebook statuses, and the like... means it is going to be a very challenging season.


To anyone who has known me since highschool, you may/probably know of my 'Santa Claus' status in my family - ie. I AM HIM.  Since I was 15, I have had the (awesome) task of doing all of the Christmas shopping for the family, and loved every minute of it. 


Dear family: I guess you are all getting coal this year. Maybe some gum and/or tape.
Love, Santa.


This is kind of a tangent-y post, I admit, but I'm a tangential girl.


I guess I have been thinking of going home a lot lately, not leaving early, but as in 'when' I go home. I got kind of caught up in things I miss from home, so I made myself try to think of things I love about here, in a 'be here now' kind of way. Or, to be very New Brunswickan: ' BE.... in this place'.


Here is my list (in progress) of things I'm sure I will miss about Korea:


- running to the ocean, daily.
-2 summers, one REALLY hot, and one medium
- no tipping and no tax, makes paying for things SO easy
- everything is always open ( except the gym during Chuseok)
- race kits are mailed to you before the race
- jimjjilbangs
- cheap ice cream
- 5 $ meals
-Kyungsung arcade karaoke


race kit for gyeongju (this weekend): program, asics gift certificate, duffel bag, chip, bib



1 comment:

  1. Jill, I was in the US for thanksgiving, and it was weird too. My aunt Skyped us during the meal, so we were "there" virtually...kinda fun and weird at the same time :) Do you guys have Skype? You could have the fam sit you at the table...haha ...

    Love, love, love the blog! It is so great to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete