Friday, October 29, 2010

treek or treat

Happy Halloween!

kiwi class. 






Today was Halloween day at school. This meant we:
- rode on the bus that picks the kids up for school and got our pictures taken with each child  before they got on the bus
- got to school and took pictures with each class 
- did Halloween activities ( after taking a class picture in a DIFFERENT room)
In other words, the day was largely a photo op. But, I'm not complaining... I've never been accused of  being camera shy.


Tim was dressed as a Ninja Turtle ( Donatello.... don't know why, Raphael is cool - but rude) and I wore a CHEETAH costume. My costume choice was mostly because that's what I could find at Homeplus ( department store ). Halloween is known here, but not really commonly celebrated. There were 2 tables of children's costumes and Halloween decorations at a 5 floor department store, which is about 2% of what you'd see at home. 


The kids seemed mostly confused by our costumes and I am not really sure that they understand Halloween ( who does? ) but they all seemed to have fun, which is the real spirit of Halloween. 


The kindergarten kids rotated through 3 different rooms: 
-Face painting
-Haunted House
-Egg on a spoon race


Given my kinesiology degree, I of course was partly responsible for the spoon race room. 
The kids did surprisingly well ... shorter = lower centre of gravity I think.
egg on a spoon.  universally accepted low organizational game.


The haunted house sounded like it went well - managed to get a couple of kids to cry, but I didn't get a chance to tour it myself. 


Face painting was done by our resident artist Romy ( and a very male Randi teacher). I couldn't even try to pull off some of the stuff Romy was managing to do.
randi ( or maybe randY) teacher.


We finished the morning with a gluttonous meal ( sent in by parents ) of chicken, sandwiches, gimbap ( korean sushi), fruit, pizza and..... DONUTS!!


I think my final donut count for the day was 4 regular size and an about 10-15 timbits. Not a bad score. 


My favorite costume was Jack Jack's. He was dressed as Spiderman, nothing special besides a mini unitard with a hood, but his size and the way he moves make him the cutest kid in the school.  Pretty sure I'd let him get away with murder ( and he often does ).
jack jack.


We went through the activities again in the afternoon with the elementary kids and I think all the teachers are now pretty Halloween'ed out.  


I felt a bit smug today, kind of like Halloween is 'our' holiday, and that made me happy.
It also made me smile to see the look on the faces of people in our neighbourhood as they noticed a turtle and a cheetah walking tail in hand down the road....

1 comment: